Commissioning Test Engineer (HVAC-Electrical)
Requisition #: 212000
Primary Location: District of Columbia, Maryland, or Northern Virginia
Career Level: Professional
Travel Percentage: Generally local travel, up to 50%
Advanced Building Performance, Inc. (ABP) is a commissioning and sustainable building consulting firm dedicated to assisting building owners and developers in the design, construction, and management of environmentally sustainable and high performance buildings. ABP offers “best-in-class” building commissioning and sustainable engineering consulting on green building and LEED™ projects to discerning owners, market savvy developers, and enlightened construction management teams.
Commissioning Engineer will be responsible for assisting Senior Commissioning Engineers in the administration of the commissioning process during construction, including but not limited to, equipment installation, submittal reviews, field report writing, systems testing, and maintaining client relationships.
- Review Owner’s Project Requirements documentation;
- Review Basis of Design documentation provided by Architect / Engineering firms
- Review project specifications for commissioning requirements
- Complete submittal and design reviews
- Maintain the Commissioning Issues Logs
- Prepare commissioning checklists for installation verification and functional performance testing of equipment and integrated systems
- Interface with design and construction team members to ensure commissioning activities are completed and documented and commissioning issues are addressed
- Perform field verification of equipment installation and startup
- Supervise and witness testing of functional and integrated performance of systems and equipment
- Assist in troubleshooting of commissionable systems and equipment when appropriate
- Participate in Owner and Construction team meetings
- Complete meeting agendas and minutes in a timely manner
- Update commissioning test plan and schedule
- Identify owner’s goals, needs, and expectations for building operation and function; identify the commissioning responsibilities
- Prepare commissioning progress reports for management or clients
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical (or Mechanical) Engineering
- 3-5 years of experience in the field(s) of building commissioning, HVAC/Electrical, Controls and/or Test and Balance
- Solid understanding of HVAC, hydronics, DDC controls and renewable energy systems design, installation and operations
- Expertise in building automation systems/ ATC is required.
- HVAC: Hands-on experience with central plants, boilers, chillers, DOAS, ERU and VRF.
- Electrical: Hands-on experience with emergency generators, ATS, UPS, PDUs and power monitoring systems.
- Commissioning industry certifications and familiarity with LEED™ and Energy Star processes.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and facilitation skills with the ability to influence all levels of the organization and effectively communicate with non-technical clients
- Excellent writing skills
- Must be highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges
- Maryland Professional Engineers License preferred
- LEED AP preferred
- Experience in managing commissioning assignments
- Competent with Microsoft Office and PC-based applications
- Strong time management and ability to work independently
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
Interested candidates are requested to provide a resume with cover letter and a brief professional writing sample to email@example.com.