Advanced Building Performance, Inc. (ABP)is a nationally recognized full service energy optimization-consulting firm offering comprehensive building commissioning services (Cx) for all phases of building performance and sustainability improvement projects. ABP is a fully independent third party commissioning firm. From the pre-design and design phases through construction and on-going operations and maintenance, we deliver money saving solutions. ABP offers “best-in-class” building commissioning and sustainable engineering solutions on green building and LEED™ projects to discerning owners, market savvy developers, and enlightened construction management teams. Our vision is to transform the design and construction of buildings by providing leading-edge best practices in high performance building and sustainable design and apply life cycle facility management strategies.
ABP’s sustained growth has created opportunities for well-rounded individuals with at least 4 years experience in commissioning field work, HVAC equipment startups, or other related technical disciplines. Commissioning Technicians will be involved in all facets of the building commissioning process for both new construction and existing facilities for commercial, institutional and educational buildings.
Candidates will be responsible for assisting Senior Commissioning Engineers in executing the commissioning process during the construction phases of commercial projects. Tasks will include, but not limited to, reviewing submittals to develop checklists, verifying equipment installation (both renovations and new construction), clarifying equipment sequence of operations, and systems testing as needed. This will be achieved through regular field visits and good documentation practices. The successful candidate must demonstrate the experience and ability to successfully interact with clients and contractors, as well as support the Project Manager for assigned projects.
The individual must have a thorough understanding of HVAC equipment and systems. The individual must exhibit strong interpersonal skills to productively motivate and influence the many different personalities involved in commissioning assignments such as clients and contractors. The ideal candidate shall act in a professional manner with solid verbal and written communication skills, learn quickly and be able to work independently and manage their own time. Equipment service certifications or hands-on field/ repair experience is highly valued. Preference will be given to individuals with commissioning-related certifications and familiarity with LEED™ processes.
- Ability to independently create or review test procedures based on:
- Contract Documents, specifically drawings and specifications,
- Other design documentation such as Owner’s Project Requirements and Basis of Design,
- Industry and standards-based best practices
- Assist the Senior Commissioning Engineer in preparing checklists for installation verification and functional performance testing of equipment and integrated systems
- Perform field verification of equipment installation and startup; document commissioning issues
- Supervise or witness equipment startups, as needed
- Oversee functional performance testing of both individual equipment and integrated systems
- Assist in troubleshooting of commissioned equipment and systems when appropriate
- Help maintain the Commissioning Corrective Action and Pending Issues Logs
- Interface with design and construction team members to ensure commissioning activities are completed and documented and commissioning issues are addressed
Job Requirements/Desired Skills
- Minimum four (4) years of experience from the field(s) of building commissioning, HVAC, Automatic Temperature Controls, and/or Test and Balance
- Strong fundamentals in HVAC, hydronics, automatic temperature controls and renewable energy systems design, installation and operations
- HVAC: Hands-on experience in testing, start-up and troubleshooting of HVAC systems, including but not limited to cooling towers, chillers, packaged roof top units, ERUs, DOAS, AHUs, VRFs, VFDs, for hospitals, schools, commercial and institutional type buildings.
- Electrical (additional): Hands-on experience with equipment such as emergency generators, ATS, UPS, PDUs and power monitoring systems desired.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Ability to support multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges
- Commissioning industry certifications and familiarity with LEED™ (preferred)
Position will require local travel within the MD/DC/VA region, with a possibility for regional travel. Salary commensurate with experience and abilities. Interested candidates are requested to provide a resume with cover letter, salary history and requirements. Inquiries should be directed to email@example.com.
ABP is an equal opportunity employer.
Click here to download a PDF of this listing.