Advanced Building Performance, Inc. (ABP) is a commissioning and sustainable building consulting firm dedicated to assisting building owners and developers in the design, construction, and management of environmentally sustainable and high performance buildings.
ABP offers “best-in-class” building commissioning and sustainable engineering consulting on green building and LEED™ projects to discerning owners, market savvy developers, and enlightened construction management teams. The expertise offered by ABP focuses on producing deep savings in first costs and in energy and maintenance costs for the life of the facility. We strive to assist owners and design teams in creating high performance commercial, institutional, and public buildings through the commissioning process. Our vision is to transform the design and construction of buildings by providing leading-edge best practices in sustainable design and strategic facility management services.
ABP’s sustained growth over the last three years has created new opportunities for well-rounded individuals with at least 15+ years experience in facilities design and operatio , commissioning or other related technical or engineering disciples. Candidates will be responsible for the design and submittals reviews of the enhanced commissioning process during the pre-construction phases. The successful candidate must demonstrate experience and ability to interface with clients, the contractor team, and manage the commissioning process for assigned projects.
The individual should have an excellent understanding of HVAC systems and how they work. The individual will exhibit strong interpersonal skills to productively motivate and influence many different personalities involved in commissioning assignments inclusive of the client(s) and the contractor(s). This individual must be technically competent in commissioning and building systems. Experience in managing commissioning assignments required. The ideal candidate is professional with strong verbal and written communication skills, a quick learner and able to work independently. Strong preference will be given to individuals with commissioning industry certifications and familiarity with LEED™ and Energy Star processes.
- Develop and review project specifications for commissioning requirements
- Complete submittal and design reviews
- Review Owner’s Project Requirements documentation; Identify owner’s goals, needs, and expectations for building operation and function
- Review Basis of Design documentation provided by Architect / Engineering firms
- Identify the commissioning responsibilities; Interface with design and construction team members to ensure commissioning activities are completed and documented and commissioning issues are addressed. Participate in Owner and Construction team meetings as required.
- Optional: Supervise or coordinate with technical fieldwork as needed
- Testing of HVAC systems for hospitals, schools, commercial and institutional type buildings.
- Functional and integrated performance testing of systems and equipment
- Assist in troubleshooting of commissionable systems and equipment when appropriate
Job Requirements/Desired Skills
- BSME, Maryland Professional Engineers License required
- LEED AP preferred
- 15+ yrs experience in designing commercial HVAC or electrical system with expertise in high performance HVAC design and advanced lighting systems
- Expertise in advanced and high performance building systems, deep understanding of energy efficiency technologies
- Strong understanding of HVAC, hydronics, DDC controls and renewable energy systems design, installation and operations
- Excellent descriptive writing skills and the ability to articulate to a non-technical client the essence of the technical requirements that are being enforced.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong time management and ability to work independently
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges
Position will require some local travel within the region (<25 miles). Salary dependent on experience and abilities. Interested candidates are requested to provide a resume with cover letter, salary history and requirements, and a brief professional writing sample. Inquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.