Advanced Building Performance, Inc. (ABP) is a commissioning and Advanced Building Performance, Inc. (ABP) is a nationally recognized full service energy optimization-consulting firm offering comprehensive building commissioning services (Cx) for all phases of building performance and sustainability improvement projects. ABP is a fully independent third party commissioning firm. From the pre-design and design phases through construction and on-going operations and maintenance, we deliver money saving solutions. ABP offers “best-in-class” building commissioning and sustainable engineering solutions on green building and LEED™ projects to discerning owners, market savvy developers, and enlightened construction management teams. Our vision is to transform the design and construction of buildings by providing leading-edge best practices in high performance building and sustainable design and apply life cycle facility management strategies.
ABP’s sustained growth has created new opportunities for well-rounded individuals with at least 7+ years experience in project management, commissioning field work, ATC controls or other related engineering disciplines. The Senior Commissioning Engineer will serve as a valuable technical resource and take a leadership role in the company. Work scope will cover all facets of the building commissioning process for both new construction and existing facilities for commercial, institutional and educational buildings. The Senior Commissioning Engineer will work closely in a team environment on multiple concurrent projects, and may also be asked to share in project management or design review tasks on occasion.
Candidates will be responsible for the execution of the commissioning process during construction. Tasks will include, but not be limited to, reviews of equipment installation (both existing and new construction), verifying system-level sequences of operations, especially the ATC and EMS, submittal review, and overseeing component & systems startup and functional testing. The successful candidate must demonstrate experience and ability to interface with clients and contractors, as well as support the Project Manager for assigned projects.
The individual should have a deep technical understanding of HVAC systems in general, and automatic temperature control and HVAC equipment manufacturers in particular. Design experience is helpful. The individual must exhibit strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills. Previous experience in managing commissioning assignments strongly desired. Preference will be given to individuals with commissioning industry certifications and familiarity with LEED™ processes.
- Evaluate and apply commissioning requirements and construction specifications on HVAC and electrical equipment and systems.
- Develop commissioning checklists for installation verification and functional performance testing of equipment and integrated systems
- Ability to independently create or review test script procedures based on:
- Contract Documents, specifically drawings and specifications,
- Other design documentation such as Owner’s Project Requirements and Basis of Design,
- Industry and standards-based best practices
- Witness, supervise, or conduct technical fieldwork as needed:
- Functional performance testing of HVAC systems for hospitals, schools, commercial and institutional type buildings.
- Perform field verification of equipment installation and startups;
- Assist in troubleshooting of commissioned equipment and systems when appropriate
- Work with the Project Manager to develop and manage commissioning test plan, schedule and task.estimation
- Interface with design and construction team members to ensure commissioning activities are incorporated, and commissioning issues are addressed. Effectively filtering and managing documentation is a key element of the commissioning process.
- Participate in Owner and Construction team meetings as required.
- Supervise and provide technical and technical expertise to other field technicians when on-site
Job Requirements/Desired Skills
- BSME, Professional Engineers License is strongly desired
- Commissioning industry certifications and familiarity with LEED™ (LEED AP preferred)
- Minimum 7+ years experience in the field(s) of field commissioning, building design or HVAC equipment engineeering; Or, 12+ years in related fields such as HVAC/Electrical, Controls and/or Test and Balance
- Practical and theoretical expertise in HVAC, hydronics, DDC controls and renewable energy systems design, installation and operations
- HVAC: Hands-on experience in testing, start-up and troubleshooting of HVAC systems, including but not limited to cooling towers, chillers, packaged roof top units, ERUs, DOAS, AHUs, VRFs, VFDs, for hospitals, schools, commercial and institutional type buildings.
- Electrical (additional): Hands-on experience with electrical equipment such as emergency generators, ATS, UPS, PDUs and power monitoring systems desired.
- Strong understanding of relevant technical standards: ASHRAE, ASME, SMACNA, IBC, others
- Ability to support multiple projects simultaneously
- Good descriptive writing skills and the ability to articulate to a non-technical client the essence of the technical requirements that are being enforced
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required
Position will require local travel within the MD/DC/VA region, with a possibility for regional travel. Salary commensurate with experience and abilities. Interested candidates are requested to provide a resume with cover letter, salary history and requirements. Professional writing samples may be requested. Inquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABP is an equal opportunity employer.
Click here to download a PDF of this listing.